Pages

Monday, 23 February 2015

Day 54 of 365: February Book - The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman

It is time for my February book reflection. As I said at the beginning of the month, my a-month-after-new-years resolution is to read at least one book per month. Starting with The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman. It's a tiny one, 100 and something pages long and has a cute cover. And here comes the place for saying 'don't judge a book by its cover'. Because this book was something else and I'm not exactly sure what that was. It might be because I'm a big fan of murder mysteries and any sort of criminal novels - if there's a murder to be solved, I'm in. It's not that I don't like every other genre of books, actually I'll love every book as long as it doesn't bore me.
But this one was weird as hell. It wasn't boring at all, I actually read it in an hour or two, but it left me at the end feeling all weird and I can't even explain how or why. It's basically about a postman, who is being creepy and secretly opens letters that are addressed to some guy in his area. And the postman falls in love with this woman who's writing the letters and when the guy dies, he - the postman - keeps writing the letters back to this woman, pretending to be the dead guy, because she doesn't know that the dead guy is dead. And at the end the postman dies the same way the guy he was pretending to be died in the first place. If that makes sense.
The book gets pretty intense and fast at some points and then slows down and the next second gets totally 'what the hell is going on now' and 'oh that's cute' and 'oh god, you're so creepy'.
What I'm trying to say is, it got me to feel so many different things in such a short period of time, that it makes it a really good book at the end of the day, I guess. I'll probably need to sleep on it for a bit, before it'll get me like 'ooooh, that was the point of it!' or maybe I'll just keep thinking it was the weirdest book ever until I'll read another one like this. Who knows.
Go, give it a read and then come back and tell me what you thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment